The Mennonite Research Foundation, a semiautonomous organization, chartered by the Mennonite (MC) Board of Education with office at Goshen, Indiana, was founded in February 1947 to serve the research needs of the Mennonite Church (MC) by carrying on or aiding research and publication in such fields as Mennonite history, theology, sociology, education, evangelism, and current activities and problems. It was controlled by a board of seven directors appointed by the Executive Committee of the Mennonite Board of Education including representatives from the three major boards of the Mennonite Church (MC), education, publication, and missions, and its three colleges, Goshen, Eastern Mennonite, and Hesston. Officers from the beginning were Paul Erb, chairman, H. S. Bender, secretary, A. J. Metzler, treasurer. Melvin Gingerich was director of research from the beginning, with G. F. Hershberger serving as acting director 1955-1957. The budget was supplied by contributions from the boards and a group of private supporters known as Mennonite Research Associates, plus fees charged for services rendered. In 1959 the work of the foundation was merged with the Historical Committee of the Mennonite Church. The latter body was renamed the Historical and Research Committee.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Mennonite Research Foundation (Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 3 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Research_Foundation_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=58700.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mennonite Research Foundation (Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Research_Foundation_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=58700.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.