From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Mennonite Old People's Home (MC), located near Rittman, Ohio, was a charitable institution built in 1901 on a 155-acre farm given by D. C. Amstutz to the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities for such a home. Board members were Christian P. Steiner, Menno S. Steiner, David S. Yoder, Lewis J. Lehman, and Abram Metzler. The first building, having a capacity of 34 inmates, burned to the ground in 1919, but through the untiring efforts of S. E. Allgyer, the 1956 home, with a capacity of 41 residents, was dedicated on 1 January 1939. After that time, under the care and direction of Aaron J. Peachey and wife, who still served in 1956 as superintendent and matron, approximately 280 different persons, from at least eight states and seventeen different denominations, had been cared for. The 1956 members of the board were Melvin Hartzler, chairman; Herman Brenner, Lloyd Sommer, and Melvin Rohrer.


Author(s) Aaron J Peachey
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Peachey, Aaron J. "Mennonite Old People's Home (Rittman, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Old_People%27s_Home_(Rittman,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89774.

APA style

Peachey, Aaron J. (1957). Mennonite Old People's Home (Rittman, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Old_People%27s_Home_(Rittman,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89774.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 633. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.