From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Mennonite Church Extension Society (Eine Mennonitische Kirchenerweiterungs-Gesellschaft) of the Western District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church) was incorporated on 17 November 1904 by Christian Krehbiel, Joseph Schrag, Jakob Isaak, J. W. Penner, Heinrich Banman, Peter Goertz, David Goerz, J. J. Krehbiel, and C. F. Claassen. Christian Krehbiel was the president, David Goerz secretary, and C. F. Claassen treasurer. The purpose of the society was the promotion of public worship through the establishment or furnishing of churches at places where the Western District Conference did mission work, or where a local congregation was being organized and needed help to acquire a meetinghouse. As soon as newly established congregations became independent and self-supporting these churches became their property. The society collected funds and raised membership dues which enabled it to build churches. Membership dues were $5.00. Little information is available of the actual activities of the Extension Society and of the time when its work came to a close.

[edit] Bibliography

This information is contained in a twelve-page pamphlet entitled Eine Mennonitische Kirchenerweiterungs-Gesellschaft.


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Mennonite Church Extension Society (General Conference Mennonite Church Western District)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Church_Extension_Society_(General_Conference_Mennonite_Church_Western_District)&oldid=89697.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Mennonite Church Extension Society (General Conference Mennonite Church Western District). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Church_Extension_Society_(General_Conference_Mennonite_Church_Western_District)&oldid=89697.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 617. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.