The Mennonite Children's Home, located on the east edge of Millersville, Pennsylvania, was opened on 22 March 1911 with Levi and Lydia Sauder in charge. In the first year 56 children were accepted. The beautiful 62 x 50 ft. brick building and a similar building near by for the steward and nurses were built on the farm of Abram B. Eshleman, Millersville-Rohrerstown deacon. The chairmen of its Board of Directors have included John H. Mellinger, 20 years; Simon H. Heistand, 20 years; and John M. Hertzler at present (1955). Levi Sauder (1878-1940) was superintendent until his death. Gideon Eberly followed in 1941-1951, John M. Hertzler five months, Isaac L. Frederick two years, and Chester Steffy from 27 December 1953. The superintendent also had charge of the orchard-truck farm. The Christian day school was opened for the children of the Home in 1940 and was operated by the Home. By 1955 1,220 children had entered the Home. The number of children "in ward" was nineteen in 1955.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Mennonite Children's Home (Millersville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 29 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Children%27s_Home_(Millersville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=113913.
Landis, Ira D. (1957). Mennonite Children's Home (Millersville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Children%27s_Home_(Millersville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=113913.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.