Mennonite Children's Home, 1620 S. 37th St., Kansas City, KS, was established in 1917 in response to the many requests for child care that came to the workers in the Mennonite Gospel Mission here. J. D. Mininger, the mission superintendent, was one of the initiators of this venture in child welfare. The Home was owned and operated by the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities, Elkhart, Indiana, which delegated the actual administration to the local Board of Directors.
The Home was licensed by the state of Kansas to care for 46 children. The building was planned and arranged to care for these children in five groups: six preschool children, ten younger schoolboys, ten older schoolboys, ten younger schoolgirls, and ten older schoolgirls. The children ranged in age from two to twelve years. The Home was also licensed to place children in foster and adoptive homes. Over 1200 children have either been placed in homes or been given temporary care in the Children's Home between 1917 and 1956. The superintendent in 1956 was Glen Yoder.
The children's home closed about 1974, and the Kansas City program evolved into Argentine Youth Services, providing a group home and foster care for boys.
Cite This Article
Yoder, Glen. "Mennonite Children's Home (Kansas City, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 5 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Children%27s_Home_(Kansas_City,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=89691.
Yoder, Glen. (1957). Mennonite Children's Home (Kansas City, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Children%27s_Home_(Kansas_City,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=89691.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.