Mennonite Book and Tract Society (1889-1908) was founded in May 1889 near Orrville, Ohio, by a number of Mennonites "to awaken a greater interest for good literature and supply the same." The first formal business meeting was held on 10 October 1892, and the last on 11 November 1907. The Society published ten books and one catalog, at least thirty-three tracts, possibly many more, and Sunday-school materials: Beams of Light (1906-1908), Book and Tract Messenger, and primary (1906- ) and advanced (1907- ) lesson helps. The first president was J. S. Coffman, followed by J. S. Lehman, John Blosser, and D. H. Bender. Other officers were: vice-president, David Burkholder, Aaron Loucks; tract editor, J. S. Coffman, A. D. Wenger; secretary, M. S. Steiner. The official place of business of the Society was the address of the treasurer: G. L. Bender, Elkhart, Indiana, 1889-1898; J. A. Ressler, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, 1898-1902; John W. Weaver, Spring Grove, Pennsylvania, 1902-1905 and A. D. Martin, Scottdale, 1905-1908, when the Society's business was merged with the work of the Mennonite Publishing House.
Hostetler, John A. "History of the Mennonite Book and Tract Society." Mennonite Quarterly Review 31 (1957): 105.
|Author(s)||John A Hostetler|
Cite This Article
Hostetler, John A. "Mennonite Book and Tract Society." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 5 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Book_and_Tract_Society&oldid=113510.
Hostetler, John A. (1957). Mennonite Book and Tract Society. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Book_and_Tract_Society&oldid=113510.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.