From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:24, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Menno Simons Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite [GCM]), now extinct, at Boyertown, Pennsylvania, was the Oberholtzer faction in Boyertown of the Hereford-Bally congregation in the Oberholtzer schism of 1847. It used the old meetinghouse in Boyertown alternately with the Mennonite Church group until 1883, when having lost a lawsuit for exclusive use of the meetinghouse it was forced to surrender it, and built the Menno Simons meetinghouse on East 4th Street. Christian Clemmer was the minister 1847-83, followed by Abraham Gottshall in 1886. In 1936 the congregation dissolved, most of the members transferring to the Hereford (GCM) church some 5 miles (8 km.) away. The membership never was large, having 25 in 1911, and 10 in 1930.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Menno Simons Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Menno_Simons_Mennonite_Church_(Boyertown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=83458.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Menno Simons Mennonite Church (Boyertown, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Menno_Simons_Mennonite_Church_(Boyertown,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=83458.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1105. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.