From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:10, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Menno Simons Kerkje is a former meetinghouse in Witmarsum, Dutch province of Friesland, where Menno was supposed to have preached his first sermons after leaving the Catholic Church in 1536. It stood here for 50 years, about two miles from the village. In 1878 it was torn down because it was too small and old, and the Menno monument was erected on its site. The Mennonites of Witmarsum built a new and spacious church in the village. H. Thepass made engravings of both the interior and the exterior of the Menno Church, which were edited by M. Stoffels at Zaandam.

Bibliography

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen. (1880): 164.

Mennonitische Blätter (1902): 49, shows a picture of the old church.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 95.


Author(s) Christian Neff
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Neff, Christian. "Menno Simons Kerkje (Witmarsum, Friesland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 16 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Menno_Simons_Kerkje_(Witmarsum,_Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=92711.

APA style

Neff, Christian. (1957). Menno Simons Kerkje (Witmarsum, Friesland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Menno_Simons_Kerkje_(Witmarsum,_Friesland,_Netherlands)&oldid=92711.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 584. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.