From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:55, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Meadow Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite) in Mingo, 12 miles southeast of Colby, Thomas County, Kansas, was a member of the Western District Conference. It was organized 19 September 1937 with charter members under the leadership of John H. Epp, who later also served the church as the first resident pastor. The first building was a frame structure with a seating capacity of 90. The 1957 building, a brick structure with a seating capacity of 200, was dedicated 30 November 1952. In 1954 the membership was 82, mostly rural, with J. W. Bergen as pastor. Other ministers who have served included Wm. C. Voth and Walter H. Regier.

Meadow Mennonite Church withdrew from the Western District Conference in 1970, and became known as the Mingo Bible Church. The conservative theology of the congregation and the Western District's decision to join the Kansas Council of Churches was the final rift that led to Meadow's withdrawal.

Bibliography

Haury, David A. Prairie People: a History of the Western District Conference. Newton, KS: Faith and Life Press, 1981: 346-347.


Author(s) Walter H Regier
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Regier, Walter H. "Meadow Mennonite Church (Mingo, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Meadow_Mennonite_Church_(Mingo,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=89557.

APA style

Regier, Walter H. (1957). Meadow Mennonite Church (Mingo, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Meadow_Mennonite_Church_(Mingo,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=89557.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 547. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.