From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Marion Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located at 5460 North 450 West, Shipshewana, LaGrange County, Indiana, five miles (eight km) west of Howe, is a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. It began as a mission outpost of the Shore congregation, near Shipshewana, Indiana. On 10 December 1944 the Marion Sunday school was organized under the direction of the Indiana-Michigan District Mission Board, with 18 charter members under the leadership of Willard Sommers. In 1950 the group was organized as an independent congregation, and on 12 November 1950, Paul W. Haarer was ordained as minister to assist Sommers. The membership in 1955 was 78. The meetinghouse, built in 1903 by the Methodist Church and sold by them to the Mennonites, is a frame structure with a seating capacity of approximately 130. In 2005 the membership was 75.


Author(s) Paul W Haarer
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Haarer, Paul W. "Marion Mennonite Church (Shipshewana, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Marion_Mennonite_Church_(Shipshewana,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=89380.

APA style

Haarer, Paul W. (1957). Marion Mennonite Church (Shipshewana, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Marion_Mennonite_Church_(Shipshewana,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=89380.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 485. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.