From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:54, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Margenau, located on the Kurushan River, a tributary of the Molotschna River, was a village of the Molotschna Mennonite settlement, Gnadenfeld volost, Berdyansk district, Ukraine, founded in 1819. The village consisted of some 300 inhabitants and was primarily agricultural. During the famine of 1932-1933, more than 50 persons died. Under the Soviets many individuals were exiled. When the German army approached in 1941, the Margenau Mennonite population was sent to Asiatic Russia. Only a few remained during the German occupation and have since reached North America.

Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 626; III, 36.


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Margenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Margenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=89338.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Margenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Margenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=89338.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 478. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.