Jump to: navigation, search

The Maple Grove Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located at 115 Maple Grove Road, Belleville, Pennsylvania, was organized by "meetinghouse" Amish as a congregatioa in 1863 under the leadership of Bishop Solomon Byler. Services in the new building were held for the first time on 9 August 1868. The congregation affiliated itself with the Eastern Amish Mennonite Conference, but is now affiliated with the Allegheny Mennonite Conference. Samuel Yoder served as bishop 1864-1884. Succeeding bishops were David Zook 1884-1886, Michael Yoder 1886-1889, Abraham D. Zook 1889-1898, Michael Yoder assisted by John E. Kauffman 1898-1910, Eli H. Kanagy 1910-?, Aaron Mast 1935- . The membership in 1954 was 278, with Aaron Mast as bishop and Jacob Weirich as minister. In 2005 the membership was 287.

In 1936 the Maple Grove congregation started a mission outpost at Barrville, five miles (eight km) north of Belleville. It was organized as a separate congregation in 1956.

Author(s) Ammon Kaufman
John L. Horst
Date Published 1957

[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Kaufman, Ammon and John L. Horst. "Maple Grove Mennonite Church (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 May 2017.,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89308.

APA style

Kaufman, Ammon and John L. Horst. (1957). Maple Grove Mennonite Church (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 May 2017, from,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89308.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 474. All rights reserved.

©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.