Mancelona, Michigan, a town about 40 miles (65 km) south of Petoskey, the location of a small settlement of Mennonites (MC), where J. S. Coffman held several services in July 1881, and where he hoped a congregation would soon be organized. One of the Coffman meetings was held in the house of David Garber. One must have been organized soon, since on 22 September 1883, "two young persons were received into the church by baptism," and "on the 23rd communion services were held." Nothing further could be learned about this early group. In 1948 a mission was established here called Cold Springs. In 1956 Willard Bontrager was the pastor, with 22 members.
Herald of Truth (1881): 139; (1883): 314.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Mancelona (Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mancelona_(Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113838.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mancelona (Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mancelona_(Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113838.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.