Malysch District (Malyschner Bezirk), a Mennonite settlement in the Volga region of Russia, about 60 miles (100 km) southeast of Saratov, named for the creek Malysch, which flows into the Tarlyk, a tributary of the Volga. It was settled in 1854-1859 by Mennonites from West Prussia, led by Claas Epp, the former mayor of the village of Fürstenwerder, and comprised 10 villages: Hahnsau, Koppental, Lindenau, Fresenheim, Valuyevka, Hohendorf, Lysanderhohe, Orloff, Ostenfeld, and Medemtal. The oldest village, Hahnsau, passed into Little Russian possession at the end of the 19th century. North and west of the Mennonite settlement German Lutherans and Catholics were settled.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 4.
 Cite This Article
Bartsch, Franz. "Malysch District (Saratov Oblast, Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 5 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Malysch_District_(Saratov_Oblast,_Russia)&oldid=111325.
Bartsch, Franz. (1957). Malysch District (Saratov Oblast, Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Malysch_District_(Saratov_Oblast,_Russia)&oldid=111325.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.