Lustre, Valley County, Montana, is the center of a Mennonite colonization success. The community, which contained three Mennonite congregations in 1955, the Lustre Evangelical Mennonite Brethren (founded 1917) with 103 members, the Bethel Mennonite Church (General Conference) (founded 1924; closed 1974) with 71 members, and the Lustre Mennonite Brethren (MB) (founded 1917) with 132 members, for a total of 306, was started about 1917 on virgin prairie. The nearest other churches are the Larslan Mennonite Brethren congregation with 38 members, 20 miles (34 km) north-west, and the two GC congregations at Wolf Point (Bethel and United) 37 miles (60 km) southwest with 129 members. Wolf Point, a town of 3,000 (2007), is the business center for the Lustre community. The Lustre settlement is located in the Fort Peck Reservation region, the Fort Peck Dam on the Missouri River being 50 miles (85 km) to the south. The three Mennonite churches of Lustre, all clustered closely together, unite in the support of Lustre Bible Academy, which was established in 1928. From the beginning there has been the closest cooperation in various matters between the Mennonites of all branches in the community.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Lustre (Montana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 1 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lustre_(Montana,_USA)&oldid=89123.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Lustre (Montana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lustre_(Montana,_USA)&oldid=89123.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.