From GAMEO
Revision as of 03:33, 20 February 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Lucas County Reformed Mennonite Church, located 1 1/2 miles (2 km) east and one-half mile (one km) north of Whitehouse, Ohio, USA was organized by Frederick Bucher in 1864. In 1838 John Moser, who with his family had come from the Emmental, Switzerland, and settled in Putnam County, Ohio, in 1834, moved with his wife and two children to the Whitehouse community, followed by the Geiger, Bösiger, Neuenschwander, and Bucher families from Switzerland, and several families from Pennsylvania Mennonite and others of Alsatian Amish background. These were the families who left their former Mennonite affiliation to follow Bucher in 1864.

From the beginning they used a small building near the site of the present church, which was built in 1892, but which is no longer in use. Ministers who served the church include Nicholas Roth, John K. Myers, Benjamin Bucher 1889-1923, Joseph Bucher 1898-1928, and Herbert Bucher 1923-1951. The membership of six in 1955 attended the Fulton County Reformed Mennonite Church.


Author(s) Delbert L Gratz
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gratz, Delbert L. "Lucas County Reformed Mennonite Church (Whitehouse, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lucas_County_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(Whitehouse,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113494.

APA style

Gratz, Delbert L. (1957). Lucas County Reformed Mennonite Church (Whitehouse, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lucas_County_Reformed_Mennonite_Church_(Whitehouse,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113494.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 411. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.