From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:53, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

Louwe (Louw) is a Dutch Mennonite family living at Zaandam, province of North Holland. Some of them were owners of whaling boats and were well-to-do businessmen. Already in 1628 they were members of the Frisian congregation (Oude Huys). A large number of them served the Mennonite congregation of Zaandam-West as deacons. Louwrens Jansz Louwe (b. 2 February 1657 at Zaandam, d. there 30 January 1723) was preacher of the Zaandam-West congregation from 1681 until his death. In 1697 he was among the four buitenleraren (preachers or elders from other congregations) who were at Wormer to decide concerning Jacob Pieters Banning, preacher of Wormer who had enunciated "new opinions"; e.g., that there are no angels or devils (Doopsgezinde Bijdragen, 1898: 77-97, passim). Cornelis Louwrens Louwe in 1781 bequeathed to the Mennonite orphanage of Zaandam-West 2,000 guilders and a beautiful clock, which was still in possession of the Zaandam congregation in 1955. Jan Hendriksz Louwe, of Krommenie, was a member of the Waterlander congregation and at the same time an ardent Collegiant. In the period 1691-1712 he often delivered addresses in the Collegiant center at Rijnsburg.

Bibliography

Lootsma, S. Het Nieuwe Huys. 1937: 80, 121 f., 186, 192 ff.


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1953


Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Louwe family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1953. Web. 21 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Louwe_family&oldid=89069.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1953). Louwe family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Louwe_family&oldid=89069.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 403. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.