From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church, ca. 1947-1952
Creator: Henry J. Wiens (1885-1975)
Digitized by Hiebert Library. Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies
.

The Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church was located at 8109 South Hoover Street, a member of the Pacific District Conference. It was organized on 22 June 1924, with an initial membership of 41 persons, and met in rented locations until the first meetinghouse was erected, dedicated 18 February 1940. The first leader was A. C. Friesen, followed by P. P. Rempel in September 1924 and a series of other ministers. The membership in 1957 was 41, with Peter Klassen as part-time pastor. There has been a considerable transient membership, with no large permanent Mennonite Brethren residential group in Los Angeles.

The church closed in 1957 as the demography of the area changed. An increasing number of minority groups moved into the area, and the "white flight" included members of the congregation.

[edit] Bibliography

Enns-Rempel, Kevin. "Urbanization of California Mennonites." Bridging Troubled Waters: the Mennonite Brethren at mid-Twentieth Century, Paul Toews, ed. Winnipeg, Man.; Hillsboro, Kan. : Kindred Productions, 1995: 225.


Author(s) P. F Wall
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Wall, P. F. "Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church (Los Angeles, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 10 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Los_Angeles_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Los_Angeles,_California,_USA)&oldid=115859.

APA style

Wall, P. F. (1957). Los Angeles Mennonite Brethren Church (Los Angeles, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Los_Angeles_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Los_Angeles,_California,_USA)&oldid=115859.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 396. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.