From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:24, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

The Logan County Mennonite (Mennonite Church) congregation, now extinct, was founded in 1832 in Union Township, Logan County, Ohio, several miles northwest of West Liberty, by families from Rockingham County, Virginia. Henry Kulp brought his family to Union Township in a three-horse wagon in 1831. His brother-in-law Daniel Funk followed in 1832. Daniel Funk was ordained to the ministry about 1840 and sometime later became bishop. The congregation never prospered. Some of the first families returned to Fairfield County, Ohio, and later joined the group that helped found the Salem Mennonite settlement in Allen County, Ohio. Others moved to Clay and Owen counties, Indiana, where some of their descendants have become ministers in the Methodist and United Brethren churches. Those who remained in Logan County united with the German Baptist congregation southwest of Bellefontaine.


Author(s) John S Umble
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Umble, John S. "Logan County Mennonite Church (Logan County, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 29 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Logan_County_Mennonite_Church_(Logan_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=83322.

APA style

Umble, John S. (1957). Logan County Mennonite Church (Logan County, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Logan_County_Mennonite_Church_(Logan_County,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=83322.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 386. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.