From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located five miles (eight km) northwest of Burr Oak, St. Joseph County, Michigan, is a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. It was started as a mission station by the Shore congregation near Shipshewana, Indiana, about 1940. On 18 November 1945, the church was organized with 61 charter members, and Orvin H. Hooley was ordained as pastor. Lee J. Miller, bishop of the Shore congregation, served as bishop. The 1954 membership was 190. The first meetinghouse was built in 1941 and enlarged in 1950.

In 2008 the membership was 194; the pastors were Jim and Faith Carpenter.

[edit] Additional Information

Address:

29525 Findley Road

Burr Oak, Michigan

Phone:

269-489-5041

Denominational Affiliations:

Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference

[http://www.mennoniteusa.org/ Mennonite Church USA

]

Website:

Locust Grove Mennonite Church


Author(s) Orvin H Hooley
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Hooley, Orvin H. "Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 17 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Locust_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Burr_Oak,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=95828.

APA style

Hooley, Orvin H. (1957). Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Locust_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Burr_Oak,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=95828.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 384. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.