The Immanuel Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in Downey, Los Angeles County, California, was organized with 35 charter members as the Mennonite Mission Church on 12 May 1918 at Avenue 19 and Albion Street, Los Angeles. On 2 November 1924 it was organized under the Immanuel Mennonite Church name, and a church was dedicated at 79th Street and Stanford Avenue, Los Angeles. On 4 July 1953 it moved to the present location at 10335 Paramount Blvd., Downey. The membership in 1955 was 271. It became a member of the Pacific District Conference in 1919. The following ministers served the congregation from 1924 to 1953: Albert Claassen, H. B. Dirks, D. D. Eitzen, Albert Jantzen, Wilbert A. Regier, Paul Bauman, H. D. Burkholder, Alfred Regier, and John B. Graber.
In 1978 the Immanuel church withdrew from the General Conference Mennonite Church and renamed itself the Downey Immanuel Church. For several years the congregation functioned independently, until 1985, when it affiliated with the Pacific District Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches. Shortly thereafter the church changed its name to Living Hope Church. Sometime after this date, the congregational became a non-denominational church.
"Living Hope Church [collection description.] Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies (Fresno, CA). Accessed 21 September 2007. <http://www.fresno.edu/sharedmedia/library/cb553.pdf>
|Author(s)||Harold D. Burkholder|
 Cite This Article
Burkholder, Harold D. and Sam Steiner. "Living Hope Church of Downey (Downey, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2007. Web. 24 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Living_Hope_Church_of_Downey_(Downey,_California,_USA)&oldid=89036.
Burkholder, Harold D. and Sam Steiner. (2007). Living Hope Church of Downey (Downey, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Living_Hope_Church_of_Downey_(Downey,_California,_USA)&oldid=89036.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.