Linn Mennonite Church (formerly Linn Township Amish Mennonite Church), is an unaffiliated congregation located five miles (eight km) northwest of Roanoke, Illinois, was organized in 1909 with 45 members under the leadership of Peter Zimmerman, who had earlier been a minister in the Roanoke Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church. The meetinghouse of 1954 was built in 1916. Former ministers include Peter Zimmerman, John W. Kennell, and Joseph J. Kennell (bishop).
The congregation was sometimes locally called the "Kennell" church, after Bishop J. J. Kennell. Its origin goes back to 1904, when Peter Zimmerman and 40 members withdrew from the Roanoke (MC) congregation because they wished to adhere to the rigid Amish practice of "shunning," which Roanoke refused to do. Zimmerman later came under the influence of John D. Kauffman of the "Sleeping Preacher" group at Shelbyville, Illinois (Mt. Hermon congregation), which had been begun there about 1907, and was ordained bishop by Bishop John R. Zook of New Wilmington, Pennsylvania.
The membership in 1954 was 169, with D. M. Hostetler serving as bishop, John E. Hostetler as minister, and S. E. Unzicker as deacon. In 2007 the membership was 81; the bishop was Stephen Ulrich. In 2014 the congregation had 80 members and the ministerial team included Bishop Stephen Ulrich and Minister Randy Ulrich.
 Additional Information
Address: 1592 City Road 1700 N, Roanoke, Illinois
Location: Roanoke, Illinois (From Roanoke take 116 west 2 miles; take 1600 north 3 miles)
|Author(s)||D. M Hostetler|
 Cite This Article
Hostetler, D. M. "Linn Mennonite Church (Roanoke, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 29 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Linn_Mennonite_Church_(Roanoke,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=131820.
Hostetler, D. M. (1957). Linn Mennonite Church (Roanoke, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Linn_Mennonite_Church_(Roanoke,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=131820.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.