Linden, AB, T0M 1J0. (403) 546-3020. Located 1 1/2 miles east of Linden. Ministers Bert Boese and Jake Boese served in 2001 non-salaried congregational leaders. In 1955 there were 368 members; in 1985, 355; in 1996, 215; in 2001, 210. The congregation has been affiliated with the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. The language of worship is German.
The congregation began in 1902 when Samuel Boese, a preacher from Oregon, took up one of the first homesteads in the district. In 1904 he was joined by Preacher Peter Baerg from Manitoba, under whose leadership the congregation prospered greatly. The members have come from Oregon, North Dakota, Manitoba and Kansas. The first church building was built in 1904, enlarged twice, and replaced by new buildings in 1920 and 1951. Samuel Boese in 1944 deeded to the church some land and a large house, now called the "Linden Home." Between 1922 and 1955, seven preachers and four deacons were ordained. The church had the regular services, Christian Endeavor programs, a sewing circle, etc. The membership in 1955 was 368.
See also Swalwell
Canadian Mennonite (17 November 1964): 1.
Histories of the Congregations of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Ste. Anne, Man.: Gospel Publishers, 1975.
|Author(s)||J. W. Toews|
|Date Published||August 1997|
Cite This Article
Toews, J. W. and Sam Steiner. "Linden Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Linden, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 1997. Web. 27 Feb 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Linden_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Linden,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=89021.
Toews, J. W. and Sam Steiner. (August 1997). Linden Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Linden, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 February 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Linden_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Linden,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=89021.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.