Linden Church of God in Christ, Mennonite in Linden, Alberta began in 1902 when Samuel Boese, a preacher from Oregon, took up one of the first homesteads in the district. In 1904 he was joined by Preacher Peter Baerg from Manitoba, under whose leadership the congregation prospered greatly. The members have come from Oregon, North Dakota, Manitoba and Kansas. The first church building was built in 1904, enlarged twice, and replaced by new buildings in 1920 and 1951. Samuel Boese in 1944 deeded to the church some land and a large house, now called the "Linden Home." Between 1922 and 1955, seven preachers and four deacons were ordained. The church had the regular services, Christian Endeavor programs, a sewing circle, etc. The membership in 1955 was 368.
Ministers Bert Boese and Jake Boese served in 2001 non-salaried congregational leaders. These men also served as ministers in 2010 along with Roland Toews.
Canadian Mennonite (17 November 1964): 1.
Histories of the Congregations of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite. Ste. Anne, Man.: Gospel Publishers, 1975.
Location: 1 1/2 miles east of Linden
Linden Congregation Membership
|Author(s)||J. W. Toews|
|Date Published||August 1997|
Cite This Article
Toews, J. W. and Sam Steiner. "Linden Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Linden, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. August 1997. Web. 29 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Linden_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Linden,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=116581.
Toews, J. W. and Sam Steiner. (August 1997). Linden Church of God in Christ, Mennonite (Linden, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Linden_Church_of_God_in_Christ,_Mennonite_(Linden,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=116581.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.