Light and Hope Orphanage, founded by J. A. Sprunger and operated by the Light and Hope Missionary Society, was opened 1 April 1893 at Berne, Indiana. In 1901 the orphanage was moved to a location two miles (3 km.) northeast of the village of Birmingham, Ohio, 10 miles (16 km.) northwest of Oberlin, where some 550 acres (222.75 ha.) were bought and substantial buildings erected. This institution became the headquarters for the Light and Hope Missionary Society with its deaconess training school. Its capacity was 125-50 persons. The school for the institution employed four teachers. The Light and Hope Publishing Company was also located here with its print shop, publishing the two journals, Licht und Hoffnung and Light and Hope, the promotional journals which raised finances for the whole complex of Light and Hope enterprises, as well as a series of books, some by Sprunger himself. A hospital was also operated in Cleveland. Upon the death of Sprunger in 1911, the Cleveland and Birmingham properties were sold and Mrs. Sprunger moved back to Berne.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Light and Hope Orphanage (Berne, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 15 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Light_and_Hope_Orphanage_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=95798.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Light and Hope Orphanage (Berne, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 15 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Light_and_Hope_Orphanage_(Berne,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=95798.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.