Liberty Mennonite Church (South English, Iowa, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

the Liberty Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) was located near South English, Keokuk County, Iowa and was a member of the Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference. It was organized in 1898 by L. J. Heatwole and Daniel Driver with nine members. The membership in 1954 was 84. S. B. Wenger was one of the charter members and a chief promoter of the work at this place. Services were held in a schoolhouse until the autumn of 1900, when a new meetinghouse was dedicated. The first resident minister was S. G. Lapp, later ordained bishop. Serving with him was P. J. Blosser as minister from 1907, serving as bishop since 1929. Silas J. Horst was assistant pastor in 1955.

Bibliography

Gingerich, Melvin. Mennonites in Iowa. Iowa City, 1939.


Author(s) Silas J Horst
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Horst, Silas J. "Liberty Mennonite Church (South English, Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 26 Apr 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Liberty_Mennonite_Church_(South_English,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=83173.

APA style

Horst, Silas J. (1957). Liberty Mennonite Church (South English, Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Liberty_Mennonite_Church_(South_English,_Iowa,_USA)&oldid=83173.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 334. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.