From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Lewis County, Tennessee, is where an Old Order Amish settlement was founded in the spring of 1946 when the Amish families of P. M. Bontreger, Jacob Mast, and Alvin Mast of Jay County, Indiana, moved to near Hohenwald, Lewis County. A congregation of 20 members met regularly for worship in homes. The minister in charge were Jacob D. Mast, the deacon P. M. Bontreger, and the bishop Christ M. Bontreger of Buchanan County, Iowa.

The settlement had ended by 1955. The settlement always remained small and never had a local bishop. Families began to move to other settlements, the last six families moving to Snyder County, Pennsylvania in 1955.

[edit] Bibliography

Luthy, David. The Amish in America: Settlements that Failed, 1840-1960. Aylmer, ON: Pathway Publishers, 1986: 449-452.


Author(s) Sam E. Yoder
Sam Steiner
Date Published January 2008


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Yoder, Sam E. and Sam Steiner. "Lewis County Old Order Amish Settlement (Lewis County, Tennessee, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2008. Web. 19 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lewis_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Lewis_County,_Tennessee,_USA)&oldid=83163.

APA style

Yoder, Sam E. and Sam Steiner. (January 2008). Lewis County Old Order Amish Settlement (Lewis County, Tennessee, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lewis_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Lewis_County,_Tennessee,_USA)&oldid=83163.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 330. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.