Leo Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church (MC)), was located in Leo, Indiana, a small rural town 11 miles (18 km) northeast of Fort Wayne, Indiana. The first meetinghouse, built on the bank of the St. Joseph River about 1/4 miles southeast of Leo in 1887, was used until 1917, when a church was purchased in the town of Leo. This congregation was without conference affiliation until 1905, when it united with the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference, and Jonathan Kurtz of Topeka, Indiana, was given bishop charge. From 1906 to 1910 this church had no local minister. In 1910 Andrew S. Miller was ordained minister, and John Lugbill was deacon. In 1944 S. J. Miller was appointed pastor, and in 1947 the church was remodeled. The baptized membership in 1954 was 237, with S. J. Miller (ordained 1950) as bishop and Ben Graber as deacon.
When the North Leo Mennonite Church was established in 1966, the Leo congregation declined. In 1990 it had only 17 members. It was not listed in the Mennonite Yearbook after the 1990/91 issue.
|Author(s)||S. J. Miller|
 Cite This Article
Miller, S. J. and Sam Steiner. "Leo Mennonite Church (Leo, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2007. Web. 31 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Leo_Mennonite_Church_(Leo,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=83132.
Miller, S. J. and Sam Steiner. (2007). Leo Mennonite Church (Leo, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 31 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Leo_Mennonite_Church_(Leo,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=83132.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.