The Lena Mennonite Brethren Church was one congregation with the Holmfield Mennonite Brethren church, with two meetinghouses, one in the village of Holmfield, the other near Lena, Manitoba.
The congregation organized under the leadership of H. Unger on 11 March 1928, with a membership of 24. The membership in 1949 was 63, all of whom were rural people. Both the Lena and Holmfield churches were built in 1944, each with a seating capacity of 250. In 1949 P. Schultz was the leader of the group at Holmfield, and J. F. Poetker at Lena. H. Derksen also served as minister. In 1951 the two groups separated, each becoming an independent congregation, Holmfield being organized with 26 members and P. F. Sawatsky as pastor. In 1954 Holmfield had 27 members, with Peter P. Schulz as pastor. The Lena group had 40 members at the time of separation. In 1955 it had 58, with J. F. Poetker as pastor. In 1965 there were 95 members.
Lena amalgamated with Holmfield Mennonite Brethren Church around 1959. The congregation dissolved in 1967 when the Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church was formed in Killarney.
The language of worship was German and English.
Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg, Manitoba. "Lakeview MB Church." Web. 18 October 2011.
Toews, John A. A Brief History of the Mennonite Brethren Church: Pilgrims and Pioneers. Fresno, CA, 1975: 162.
 Additional Information
Lena MB Church Leading Ministers
|Author(s)||J. F. Poetker|
|Date Published||October 2011|
 Cite This Article
Poetker, J. F. and Marlene Epp. "Lena Mennonite Brethren Church (Lena, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. October 2011. Web. 29 May 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lena_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lena,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=115846.
Poetker, J. F. and Marlene Epp. (October 2011). Lena Mennonite Brethren Church (Lena, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 May 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lena_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lena,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=115846.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.