Amanda Eby Leaman. a long-time worker at the Chicago Mennonite Home Mission (Mennonite Church), was born 10 January 1876 in Creston, Ohio, to Tobias and Susanna Eby. In 1891, through the preaching of John S. Coffman, she accepted Christ. By request of C. K. Hostetler, she went to work at the Chicago Mennonite Home Mission, arriving there on 13 October 1898. She worked there until mid-1900, when she became engaged to Amos Hershey Leaman who had been superintendent of the mission since 1898. From 1900 to 1902, she lived with her family in Ohio, returning to Chicago Home Mission in September 1902 after her marriage to A. H. Leaman on 22 June 1902. Amanda carried various missionary roles. She worked in the mission Sunday school, did home visitation, led home Bible studies and women's meetings, gave sewing classes, helped with a children's fresh air program and distributed clothes. She did editing and copy editing for the mission newsletter. She served as hostess to guests and church leaders. In 1909, she wrote the notes for the primary Teachers Sunday School Quarterly, published in Scottdale, PA. She also frequently spoke at Mennonite Sunday school conferences and was involved in the Mennonite Women's Missionary Society, started by her sister, Clara Eby Steiner. In 1920, Amanda and Hershey moved out of the Chicago Home Mission but her missionary outreach in Chicago continued until her death on 15 January 1938.
See also Urban Church.
Rich, Elaine Sommers. Mennonite Women: A Story of God's Faithfulness, 1683-1983. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1983: 165.
|Author(s)||Rachel A Shenk|
 Cite This Article
Shenk, Rachel A. "Leaman, Amanda Eby (1876-1938)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 14 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Leaman,_Amanda_Eby_(1876-1938)&oldid=88931.
Shenk, Rachel A. (1987). Leaman, Amanda Eby (1876-1938). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 14 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Leaman,_Amanda_Eby_(1876-1938)&oldid=88931.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.