The Lawton View Mennonite Brethren Mission, located at Lawton, Oklahoma, was an outgrowth of the Post Oak Indian and Mexican Mission at Indiahoma. Missionaries Abraham J. and Magdalena (Hergert) Becker began this work among Mexicans in the eastern part of the city in 1935. A mission chapel was built and dedicated in 1937. The mission workers who served at this location prior to the mid-1950s included Mr. and Mrs. A. J. Becker, Mrs. Anna Gomez, J. A. Gonzales, Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Reimer, Salvador Rivera, and Walter Gomez. After a number of converts from the Mexicans and the white population had been baptized, a local church was organized.
In 1946 the mission was shifted to the southwestern part of the city, where it was located in 1956. Here the church continued to grow for some time; but later, due to migrations, the Mexican element of the congregation began to decrease. The congregation in 1956 consisted mainly of the "poor whites." Becker continued to assist in this work, and Harry Bartel was also stationed here for a short time. The 1956 mission workers were Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. Nickel. A new church building was erected in 1946. The Mission was under the supervision of the Foreign Mission Board of the Mennonite Brethren Church.
|Author(s)||J. H Lohrenz|
Cite This Article
Lohrenz, J. H. "Lawton View Mennonite Brethren Mission (Lawton, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lawton_View_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Lawton,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=57835.
Lohrenz, J. H. (1957). Lawton View Mennonite Brethren Mission (Lawton, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lawton_View_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Lawton,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=57835.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.