From GAMEO
Revision as of 06:25, 16 March 2014 by RichardThiessen (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Lashburn Mennonite Brethren Church, ca. 1950-1951
Creator: Henry J. Wiens (1885-1975)
Digitized by Hiebert Library. Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies
.

The Lashburn Mennonite Brethren (MB) Church, located close to the Alberta border on the highway between North Battleford and Lloydminster in Lashburn, northern Saskatchewan, was a member of the Rosthern District of the Canadian Conference of the Mennonite Brethren Churches. The congregation originated through outreach by Western Children's Mission. The settlers in this mixed farming community met at first in homes in 1936 under the leadership of H. S. Rempel and formally organized on 20 January 1937. The first church leader named in Saskatchewan Conference yearbooks was A. A. Polinsky. In 1938, when the church had a membership of 35, they bought an immigration building for a church at a cost of $525.00. After the building burned down in 1940 the members met in the United Church until about 1943 when a new church was built. By 1945 there were only 18 members. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s.

Representatives of the Maidstone MB Church and the Lashburn MB Church held a special meeting in 1964 to discuss the possibility of amalgamating but they decided against this union. On 29 November 1964, when Paul J. Wiebe a high school teacher in Lashburn was the pastor, the 28-member Lashburn church dedicated a new church building in town. In 1966 the membership of the Lashburn Church had risen to 40. The last entry in the Saskatchewan MB Conference yearbooks for Lashburn is in 1980 when the membership was 15. In 1982 the remaining eleven members were encouraged by the Saskatchewan Conference of Church Ministries to transfer to other churches.

Bibliography

"Lashburn MB Church." Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg, MB. Web. 28 July 2011. http://www.mbconf.ca/home/products_and_services/resources/published_genealogies/mb_provincial_conferences_and_church_congregation_records/saskatchewan_archives/lashburn_mennonite_brethren_church_archives/.

Mennonite Brethren Herald (31 December 1964): 14.

Redekopp, Hilda. Interview by author. Abbotsford, BC (29 July 2011).

Archival Records

Centre for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg, MB: Volume 617, Reel 15.

Additional Information

Denominational Affiliations:

Saskatchewan Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1937-1982)

Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1937-1982)

General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1937-1982)

Lashburn MB Church Leading Ministers

Minister Years
A. A. Polinsky 1937–1943
Emil Gripp 1944–1953
Bert Sommerfield 1954–1955
A. H. Dueck 1956–1958
Franz Dyck 1959–1960
Paul J. Wiebe 1961–1965
Otto Derksen 1966–1971
David Esau 197?-1975
Adolph Redekopp 1976-1980

Lashburn MB Church Membership

Year Members
1938 35
1945 18
1964 28
1966 40
1980 15
1982 11


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Richard D. Thiessen
Date Published July 2011


Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene and Richard D. Thiessen. "Lashburn Mennonite Brethren Church (Lashburn, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 2011. Web. 20 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lashburn_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lashburn,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=115832.

APA style

Epp, Marlene and Richard D. Thiessen. (July 2011). Lashburn Mennonite Brethren Church (Lashburn, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lashburn_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lashburn,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=115832.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.