From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:42, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search
Laschkenkampe (now Łaszka, Poland) Source: Wikipedia Commons
Laschkenkampe (also known as Laschke and Laschken Kampe; now known as Łaszka or Łaska Kępa; coordinates: 54.3018, 19.2211 [54° 18′ 06″ N, 19° 13′ 15″ E]; population in 1905, 105; in 2012, 310) is located approximately 5 kilometres (3 miles) south-east of Sztutowo (Stutthof), 12 km. (7 mi.) north-east of Nowy Dwór Gdański (Tiegenhof), 18 km. (11 mi.) north-west of Elbląg (Elbing), 32 km. (20 mi.) north-east of Malbork (Marienburg), and 40 km. (25 mi.) east of the regional capital Gdańsk (Danzig).

In Middle Ages, the region located to the south of Stutthof (now Sztutowo) was a part of the Vistula Lagoon (Frisches Haff in German and Zalew Wiślany in Polish). Beginning in the 16th century, the area was systematically drained and incorporated into the Sztutowo estate - Stuthofer Kampe. Until 1793 Laschkenkampe was part of Danzig in Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. Laschkenkampe was situated in the district (Kreis) of Danzig from 1818 until 1887, when it became part of the district of Danziger Niederung. The village became part of the Free City of Danzig from 1920 until the outbreak of World War II in 1939, when it came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. 

Today Laschkenkampe (now known as Łaszka) is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Sztutowo, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship. The village of Łaszka includes several sections, which until 1945, were separate settlements including Lichtkampe, Kleiner Weidenhaken, and Laschkenkampe.

In the 1793 Danzig census there was one Mennonite family in Laschkenkampe, named Schroeder. In 1820 Laschkenkampe had 68 inhabitants, including 4 Mennonites.

Bibliography

Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Stara Koscielnica." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 7 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=380&lang=en.

Wikipedia. "Łaszka." Web. 7 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%81aszka.

Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 7 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=3812.

Maps

Map:Łaszka, Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland


Author(s) Richard D Thiessen
Date Published December 2012


Cite This Article

MLA style

Thiessen, Richard D. "Laschkenkampe (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 25 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Laschkenkampe_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95727.

APA style

Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Laschkenkampe (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Laschkenkampe_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95727.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.