The Lahoma Mennonite Brethren (Mennonite Brethren) Church, now extinct, located in Lahoma, Garfield County Oklahoma, was founded about 1906 as an affiliate of the Sued-Hoffnungsfeld congregation of Fairview, Oklahoma., a member of the Southern District Conference. The congregation built a church and chose John Schneider as its leader. The largest total membership (baptized) was about 30.
Among the reasons for its disbanding in 1923 were that some families moved away, others found other church homes, and lack of a leader, although several ministers of the nearby Mennonite Brethren congregations upon request from the Southern District Conference tried hard to keep it going.
The members of the Lahoma Mennonite Brethen congregation, together with members of the North Enid Mennonite Brethren Church that had meanwhile settled in Enid, began to gather in the city for services and organized as the Enid-Lahoma Mennonite Brethren Church. The name was later changed to Enid City Mennonite Brethren Church.
|Author(s)||P. C Grunau|
Cite This Article
Grunau, P. C. "Lahoma Mennonite Brethren Church (Lahoma, Oklahoma)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 8 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lahoma_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lahoma,_Oklahoma)&oldid=57771.
Grunau, P. C. (1958). Lahoma Mennonite Brethren Church (Lahoma, Oklahoma). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 8 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lahoma_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lahoma,_Oklahoma)&oldid=57771.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.