The Lafayette First Mennonite Church (Evangelical Mennonite Church), South 26th and Kossuth Streets, Lafayette, Indiana, was organized on 2 August 1942 with 24 members under District Superintendent N. J. Schmucker. The first pastor was Reuben C. Cantrell. The concrete block building was erected in 1941 and the auditorium enlarged in 1951. E. G. Steiner served as pastor 1946-1951, Paul A. McCoy 1951-1955, and Owen Haifley 1956- . The membership was 70 in 1956.
The congregation is the direct successor to an older congregation, whose meetinghouse, built in 1885, was located about eight miles (13 km) east of Lafayette, north of the village of Perth, and was sold in 1941. The community here was started in the 1850s by Amish settlers from Butler County, Ohio, and some who came directly from Germany. The chief family names were Gingerich, Ehresman, Imhoff, Zimmerman, Amstutz, Mellinger, and Gerber. Earlier ministers were Christian Zimmerman, John Zimmerman, and Christian Gerber, in that order, all of whom are buried in the Mennonite cemetery just south of Edna Mills.
The church closed and the building was sold about 1997 to Trinity Mission, a member of the International Union of Gospel Missions.
International Union of Gospel Missions. "This Month's News of IUGM Member Missions." January/February 1998. Accessed 30 September 2007. <http://www.agrm.org/news/2-98.html>
|Author(s)||E. G Steiner|
Cite This Article
Steiner, E. G. "Lafayette Evangelical Mennonite Church (Lafayette, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 26 Apr 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lafayette_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Lafayette,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=102324.
Steiner, E. G. (1958). Lafayette Evangelical Mennonite Church (Lafayette, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lafayette_Evangelical_Mennonite_Church_(Lafayette,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=102324.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.