Ladekopp, a village on the left bank of the Tokmak River of the Molotschna Mennonite settlement, Ukraine, Russia, named after a Mennonite village in West Prussia, was established in 1806 by 26 Mennonite families from Prussia. It was one of the oldest villages of the Molotschna settlement. In 1914 it had 100 Mennonite families with 460 inhabitants. The village had a school and was primarily occupied with agriculture. Most of the inhabitants belonged to the Petershagen Church.
In 1929-30 the collectivization of agriculture took place and the first families were sent to Siberia as kulaks. In 1941 only one-third of the population was Mennonite. At the outbreak of the war some men were drafted into the army and some had to dig trenches. Soon all men above 16 years of age were sent east. The women and children were gathered at the station of Gross-Tokmak on 30 September 1941, to be transported east. When the Germans approached they returned to their homes. On 12 September 1943 the Mennonite population of the village, some 140 persons, was evacuated to Germany. Only about 25 persons succeeded in going to Canada and two to Paraguay; the rest were returned to Russia.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 604.
 Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Ladekopp (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 24 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ladekopp_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=105818.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1958). Ladekopp (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Ladekopp_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=105818.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.