Kings View Homes (now Kings View Behavioral System) was the second of Mennonite Central Committee's mental hospitals, located 2 1/2 miles (4 km) southwest of Reedley, California resulted from the 1947 Mennonite Central Committee assignment to erect three such hospitals. The Kings River, which forms the northwest border of the 43-acre ranch, gave its name to the hospital. The ranch provided fruit and vegetables to the hospital and also an avenue of therapeutic work.
During the 1950s the plant consisted of the main building with 8,500 sq. ft. and an activity building with 1,800 sq. ft. Personnel were housed in Reedley. Kings View Homes was opened on 11 February 1951. In 1955 it had three psychiatrists, a psychiatric social worker, psychologist, and four nurses on the total staff of 30. Arthur Jost was appointed administrator in 1950, directing the business and public relations program. Kings View Homes utilized many volunteers from the community in its recreational, devotional, and educational program for patients and staff alike. A number of patients were placed in foster homes in the community.
In the 1950s the services included full psychiatric care, medical workup in conjunction with local general medical facilities, outpatient care, and foster home care. All types of mental patients were admitted. The ultimate program was to include facilities for 100 patients. A committee was studying its further development.
Kings View website
Cite This Article
Jost, Arthur. "Kings View Behavioral Health System (Reedley, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kings_View_Behavioral_Health_System_(Reedley,_California,_USA)&oldid=88671.
Jost, Arthur. (1957). Kings View Behavioral Health System (Reedley, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kings_View_Behavioral_Health_System_(Reedley,_California,_USA)&oldid=88671.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.