From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Karaguy, a village in the Orenburg Mennonite settlement of Russia, was founded in 1908. In 1910 it became the seat of a subsidiary congregation of the Kamenka Mennonite Brethren Church. The Karaguy center included Chernoozernoye, Kamyshevo, Zelenoye, Karaguy, Pretoria, and Zuvorovka. The earlier meetinghouse, which had been built in Kamyshevo in 1899, was sold and torn down when the larger church in Karaguy was built in 1914. Ministers of the Karaguy Mennonite Brethren Church were Wilhelm Giesbrecht (leader 1898-1905), Jakob Bergen (leader 1905-1909, David Janz, Gerhard Neufeld, Daniel Friesen, Kornelius Janzen, Franz Heier and Abram Janzen. After 1914 David Janz of Zagradovka in the Ukraine was ordained as elder of the Karaguy congregation.

The Kirchliche Mennonites of Karaguy belonged to the Orenburg Mennonite Church, with a center at Deyevka.

[edit] Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 459.


Author(s) Walter Quiring
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Quiring, Walter. "Karaguy (Orenburg Mennonite Settlement, Orenburg Oblast, Russia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Karaguy_(Orenburg_Mennonite_Settlement,_Orenburg_Oblast,_Russia)&oldid=88524.

APA style

Quiring, Walter. (1957). Karaguy (Orenburg Mennonite Settlement, Orenburg Oblast, Russia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Karaguy_(Orenburg_Mennonite_Settlement,_Orenburg_Oblast,_Russia)&oldid=88524.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 150. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.