Kampen, Johann Jakob van (1803-1867)
Johann Jakob van Kampen was the last unsalaried minister of the Danzig Mennonite Church, b. 1803 in Schottland near Danzig, d. 8 November 1867. He stemmed from an old Mennonite family in Elbing. Jost van Kampen, who acquired citizenship there in 1585, placed a plot of land at the disposal of the congregation, on which the first chapel was erected in 1590. In 1835 Johann van Kampen was made a director of the Danzig church, and in 1861 was chosen minister to support Jakob Mannhardt. He served faithfully in this capacity until his death. He arranged the archives, collected books for the church library, and conscientiously continued the church records begun by Anton Schreder; after his death Wilhelm Mannhardt continued them. For several years van Kampen was a member of the city council and chairman of the city Poor Commission (Armenkommission) as well as of an orphanage in Danzig.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 456.
Mannhardt, H. G. Die danziger Mennonitengemeinde: ihre Entstehung und ihre Geschichte von 1569-1919 : Denkschrift zur Erinnerung an das 350 jährige Bestehen der Gemeinde und an die Jahrhundertfeier unseres Kirchenbaus am 14. September 1919 . Danzig, 1919.
Mannhardt, H. G. The Danzig Mennonite Church: its origin and history from 1569-1919. North Newton, KS: Bethel College ; Kitchener, ON: Pandora Press, 2007.
Cite This Article
Neff, Christian. "Kampen, Johann Jakob van (1803-1867)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kampen,_Johann_Jakob_van_(1803-1867)&oldid=92213.
Neff, Christian. (1957). Kampen, Johann Jakob van (1803-1867). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kampen,_Johann_Jakob_van_(1803-1867)&oldid=92213.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 142. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.