Kalva-Kurthy (Kalvakurthy), a Mennonite Brethren mission station in India, was begun by Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Lohrenz in 1922. Sanction for land and for building a mission station near Kalva-Kurthy village, 60 miles due south of Hyderabad, Madhya Pradesh (formerly Central Provinces), was procured in 1933. J. A. and Viola Wiebe were the first resident missionaries and erected a dwelling house and several smaller buildings. Other missionaries who have worked in this station are Mr. and Mrs. J. J. Dick, and Mr. and Mrs. J. N. C. Hiebert; Mr. and Mrs. Herman H. Warkentin and Mary Doerksen were in charge in 1949. The work done from this station as center includes mainly itinerating evangelism in the villages. The field in the 1950s had an area of 1,000 square miles and a population of 160,000. The native church numbered 800 members. A primary school was at times conducted on the station.
|Author(s)||J. H Lohrenz|
Cite This Article
Lohrenz, J. H. "Kalva-Kurthy Mission (Madhya Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalva-Kurthy_Mission_(Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=92210.
Lohrenz, J. H. (1957). Kalva-Kurthy Mission (Madhya Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalva-Kurthy_Mission_(Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=92210.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.