Until 1793 Kalteherberge was part of Danzig in Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The Second Partition of Poland in 1793 added Danzig and its surrounding territory to the province of West Prussia. Kalteherberge was situated in the district (Kreis) of Marienburg until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, Kalteherberge came under the control of Nazi Germany. In February 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and eventually returned to Poland. Today it is a village in the administrative district of Gmina Stegna, within Nowy Dwór Gdański County, Pomeranian Voivodeship.
In the 1793 Danzig census there were three Mennonite families listed in Kalteherberge with the following surnames: Friesen, Kroecker, and Suckau. In 1820, Kalteherberge had 126 residents, including 10 Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Kalteherberge were members of the Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Świerznica." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 6 December 2012. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=458&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Świerznica, Pomeranian Voivodeship." Web. 6 December 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Awierznica,_Pomeranian_Voivodeship.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 6 December 2012. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2848.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||December 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Kalteherberge (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2012. Web. 22 Feb 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalteherberge_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95522.
Thiessen, Richard D. (December 2012). Kalteherberge (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 February 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalteherberge_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95522.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.