Mennonite settlements in Johnson, Iowa, Washington and Henry Counties, Iowa. Mennonite Encyclopedia, v. 3, p. 116.
, is situated in the eastern part of the state, in northern Washington County
, 19 miles southwest of Iowa City
. It had a population of 1,015 in 1957 (2,293 in 2000), a considerable number of whom were (Old) Mennonites. Amish and Mennonite farmers lived in the areas surrounding the town, although the center of their community lay to the northwest. The nearest Mennonite church, East Union Mennonite Church
, was located two miles north of Kalona, and the nearest Conservative Mennonite church, Fairview
, was a mile farther north and two east. Six Old Order Amish congregations
were located near the town. A considerable number of the members of the Lower Deer Creek Mennonite Church
have a Kalona address.
|| A. Lloyd Swartzendruber
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Swartzendruber, A. Lloyd. "Kalona (Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalona_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=92207.
Swartzendruber, A. Lloyd. (1957). Kalona (Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalona_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=92207.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, p. 139. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.