Mennonite settlements in Johnson, Iowa, Washington and Henry Counties, Iowa. Mennonite Encyclopedia, v. 3, p. 116.
, is situated in the eastern part of the state, in northern Washington County
, 19 miles southwest of Iowa City
. It had a population of 1,015 in 1957 (2,293 in 2000), a considerable number of whom were (Old) Mennonites. Amish and Mennonite farmers lived in the areas surrounding the town, although the center of their community lay to the northwest. The nearest Mennonite church, East Union Mennonite Church
, was located two miles north of Kalona, and the nearest Conservative Mennonite church, Fairview
, was a mile farther north and two east. Six Old Order Amish congregations
were located near the town. A considerable number of the members of the Lower Deer Creek Mennonite Church
have a Kalona address.
|| A. Lloyd Swartzendruber
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Swartzendruber, A. Lloyd. "Kalona (Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 27 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalona_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=92207.
Swartzendruber, A. Lloyd. (1957). Kalona (Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalona_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=92207.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, p. 139. All rights reserved.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.