Kaju-Apu Mennonite Mission (Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia)
Kaju-Apu was one of the three oldest stations of the former Dutch Mennonite mission in Java, Indonesia. It is located south of Mt. Muria, four miles from Kudus. Some Javanese Christians on an evangelizing tour found at Kaju-Apu some persons desirous of instruction. On 26 July 1853 four men were baptized by Hoezoo, a missionary working at Semarang under the Dutch (Reformed) mission board. By 1875 this beginning had increased to 92 members. After Hoezoo's death in 1896 the Dutch Mennonite Missionary Society took over the station on 1 July 1898. By that time there had been some loss of members to the Catholic Church and also by members moving away. The remaining 54 members were served alternately by Johann Hübert and Pieter Anton Jansz. In December 1901 Johann Fast took charge of the mission and built a residence, a school, and a dispensary in addition to the chapel which was built by Hoezoo. Outstations were built at Pati (15 miles away) and Taju (30 miles away). When Fast returned to Europe for his health in 1909, the stations were served by Johann Klaassen until he had to return to Europe for his health. J. Siemens was then in charge of the work. He also was compelled to return to Europe in 1914. Meanwhile the congregation had grown to 105 souls, with 55 baptized members. The mission school had three teachers and 100 pupils. The dispensary served 80-100 patients daily.
From 1904-1921 Kaju-Apu was unoccupied, the work being carried on by N. Thiessen from Margoredjo. This period was the time of the revival among the Chinese in Kudus. It was continued when Fast returned in 1921 and established a subsidiary station in Karangrava. In 1928, in his fortieth year of service, Fast was compelled to leave for a cooler climate.
In June 1929 Hermann Schmitt took over Kaju-Apu, living in Kudus, since there were greater opportunities for work there. Kaju-Apu became a subsidiary with extensive autonomy. Gersom, who had faithfully assisted in the work for more than 40 years, retired in 1932. Most of the members were poor farmers. Since the voluntary contributions of the members and the small income from the rice fields bought by the missionaries at a former time were insufficient to cover the essential expenses, the congregation received aid from the mission treasury.
In 1933 the Kaju-Apu congregation had a membership of 70 adults and 84 children. Sunday services were attended on an average by 66 adults and the Sunday school by 68 children, and the catechetical instruction by 34 young people. Shortly after 1930 this congregation became to some extent independent. Excellent native teachers and preachers, like Tirtoadi, Radija Nitiardjo (until 1936), Wigeno Mororedjo (since 1936), had charge of the congregation, which became completely independent on 24 November 1940. World War II, the Japanese invasion (1942), and the political alterations in Indonesia put the congregation to a severe test, but it stood the test. In 1949 the membership numbered 65 baptized members and 146 children. In 1955 these figures were 76 and 107. The preacher of the congregation since 1941 (and elder in 1955) was W. Mororedjo.
Reports of the Dutch Mennonite Mission Association.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 450 f.
|Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Schmidt, Hermann and Nanne van der Zijpp. "Kaju-Apu Mennonite Mission (Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 17 Jan 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kaju-Apu_Mennonite_Mission_(Kudus,_Central_Java,_Indonesia)&oldid=111278.
Schmidt, Hermann and Nanne van der Zijpp. (1957). Kaju-Apu Mennonite Mission (Kudus, Central Java, Indonesia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 January 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kaju-Apu_Mennonite_Mission_(Kudus,_Central_Java,_Indonesia)&oldid=111278.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 137. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.