Johnson County, Missouri U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Johnson County, Missouri
approximately 50 miles (80 km) southeast of Kansas City
, with Cass County
on its western border, at one time contained an Amish Mennonite
settlement, located in the southwestern part of the county near Holden. The first Amish settlers in the community were Joseph Gerber and his family, who moved there from Indiana
around 1870. The first church was built in 1889 and was located six miles southwest of Holden. By 1893 the congregation, named Pleasant View, had 53 members, who were served by the preachers David Morrell and Andrew Miller, both old men. Later in that decade Henry Rychener was ordained to serve the church. Under his leadership the church changed from German to English services. At its highest membership, the congregation numbered approximately 100. After Rychener moved to Ohio
, D.B. Raber was ordained to serve the congregation. About 1908 members began to move from the community to Cass County, Missouri, Aurora, Ohio and other places. When Raber moved to Portage County, Ohio in 1911, the church was without a minister and eventually became extinct.
|| Melvin Gingerich
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Johnson County (Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Johnson_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=92160.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Johnson County (Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Johnson_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=92160.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, p. 117. All rights reserved.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.