The first Amish to move into the county came from Ohio and Pennsylvania in 1846. The settlement was one of the most successful established by the Amish in the central states and has grown steadily during the past century. As the home of three generations of Swartzendruber bishops—Jacob, Frederick, and Jacob F.—as well as of Samuel D. Guengerich and his publishing enterprise, the community has been unusually influential in Amish Mennonite circles. In 1945 the Iowa Mennonite School was established in the heart of the Johnson County Mennonite community. Unusual also is the fact that from this Amish community have come at least nine Mennonites who have earned the doctor of philosophy degree. At least 12 Elkhart Institute and Goshen College faculty members were born in this settlement.
Gingerich, Melvin. The Mennonites in Iowa : marking the one hundredth anniversary of the coming of the Mennonites to Iowa. Iowa City, IA : The State Historical Society of Iowa, 1939.
Swartzendruber, E. G. Amish and Mennonite Church Centennial near Wellman and Kalona, Iowa. Wellman, IA, 1953.
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Johnson County (Iowa, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 2 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Johnson_County_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=113445.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Johnson County (Iowa, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Johnson_County_(Iowa,_USA)&oldid=113445.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.