The James Valley Hutterite Bruderhof, four miles (6.5 km) south of Elie, Manitoba, was founded in Canada in 1918 because of Canada's more liberal provisions for conscientious objectors to military service. It was established by several families of the Milltown Bruderhof, 12 miles (20 km) southeast of Huron, South Dakota, with David Hofer their preacher. David Hofer was also one of the founders of Milltown, was chosen to the ministry there on 2 June 1907, and confirmed in the office on 10 October 1909. He died on 6 April 1941 in the James Valley Bruderhof at the age of 64. Peter Hofer was chosen preacher on 24 August 1919, and confirmed on 8 September 1935. In 1950 the colony had a total population of 128.
Daughter colonies of James Valley include: Miami (Morden, Manitoba); Riverdale (Gladstone, Manitoba); Spring Valley (Brandon, Manitoba); and Starlite (Starbuck, Manitoba).
In 2012 James Valley was a Group 2 Schmiedeleut colony. The minister was John Hofer and the manager was Aaron Hofer.
Location: Elie, Manitoba (coordinates: 49.836944, -97.755833 [49˚50′ 13″ N, 97˚45′ 21″ W])
Address: Box 324, Elie, Manitoba, R0H 0H0
|Date Published||February 2013|
Cite This Article
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. "James Valley Hutterite Colony (Elie, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 29 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=James_Valley_Hutterite_Colony_(Elie,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=82482.
Decker, David and Bert Friesen. (February 2013). James Valley Hutterite Colony (Elie, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=James_Valley_Hutterite_Colony_(Elie,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=82482.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.