Revision as of 14:39, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Jacob's Creek Valley in Fayette and Westmoreland counties in Southwestern Pennsylvania was the site of what seems to have been the first Mennonite set­tlement west of the Allegheny Mountains and the second oldest in the Allegheny Conference District. The pioneer settlers came to Jacob's Creek Valley in the period prior to 1789 on to 1800 from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and Washington County, Maryland. Early names were Strickler, Stauffer, Shallenberger, Sherrick, Shank, and Rist. The settlers south of Jacob's Creek built a meetinghouse near Pennsville before 1800, and this group was sometimes called the congrega­tion of Jacob's Creek Valley. Those north of the creek built a place of worship at Stonerville in about 1800. These two congregations were later merged into one with a meetinghouse in Scottdale, Pennsylvania.


Yoder, Edward. "The Mennonites of Westmoreland County, Pa." Mennonite Quarterly Review 15 (1941): 155-187.

Author(s) John L Horst
Date Published 1957

Cite This Article

MLA style

Horst, John L. "Jacob's Creek Valley (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 1 Dec 2015.,_USA)&oldid=95412.

APA style

Horst, John L. (1957). Jacob's Creek Valley (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 December 2015, from,_USA)&oldid=95412.

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 64. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.