Iowa-Nebraska (Mennonite) District Mission Board (Mennonite Church (MC)) was organized in September 1922 upon the adoption of its constitution by the Iowa-Nebraska Conference. Its first officers were J. C. Brenneman, Kalona, Iowa, president; D. B. King, Parnell, Iowa, treasurer; and Peter Kennel, Strang, Nebraska, secretary. The board was composed of the executive committee of five members and one member elected by each of the 23 congregations, making a total of 28 members. Members of the executive committee held office for three years and were elected by the conference. Its annual budget in the 1950s was approximately $3,000, with which it carried on the work of the Thurman, Colorado rural mission and continued to give some support to the Iowa City congregation, which became independent. Beginning in 1948 the board published Missionary Challenge, which was a 24-page quarterly, edited by Fred Gingerich, Chappell, Nebraska. In 1954 the officers of the board were Ammon Miller, Milford, Nebraska, president; Leroy V. Miller, Kalona, Iowa, vice-president; Silas Horst, South English, Iowa, secretary; and Ira Wenger, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, treasurer.
In 2001 the Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference merged with the Northern District Conference of the General Conference Mennonite Church to form the Central Plains Mennonite Conference as part of the new Mennonite Church USA. At this time the work of the separate Mission Board also ended.
|Author(s)||S. J Horst|
Cite This Article
Horst, S. J. "Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite District Mission Board (Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 2 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Iowa-Nebraska_Mennonite_District_Mission_Board_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=95374.
Horst, S. J. (1957). Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite District Mission Board (Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Iowa-Nebraska_Mennonite_District_Mission_Board_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=95374.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.