From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Indiana Conference of the United Missionary Church (later Missionary Church) had its origins in the "Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio Evangelical United Mennonite Conference." The date of its organization is not clear but it met in its "sixth annual conference" in Elkhart County, Indiana, in September 1880. After the Evangelical United Mennonites became the Mennonite Brethren in Christ in 1883, the first annual "Conference of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and the West" held its session in Miami County, Ohio, in March 1884. After Ohio became a separate conference in 1942 the Indiana Conference was confined to one state. The conference met annually during the last week of June on its campgrounds 7.5 miles (12 km) south of Elkhart. Its committees were executive, youth, budget, camp meetings, foreign missions, peace, and reading course examiners. In 1955 its 37 congregations had 2,507 members. The district superintendent was Kenneth Geiger and the secretary Gordon Bacon.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1958


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Indiana Conference of the United Missionary Church." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 29 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Indiana_Conference_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=113437.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1958). Indiana Conference of the United Missionary Church. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Indiana_Conference_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=113437.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 29. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.